3

The birds and the bees

On our way to dinner last night, Finn suddenly asked me ...

Finn: Mommy, how do boys help girls bring the baby out?
Me: Boys don't help bring the baby out, it's just the girls, the mommies. Boys help make the baby, but they don't do anything to bring the baby out.
Finn: Oh yeah, that's what I meant. How do boys help make the baby?
Me: Why do you ask?
Finn: I just want to know.
Me: silence ... thinking of how to explain it.
Finn: Mommy, how?
Me: Well the girl has the egg (making a circle with my thumb and index finger), and the boy has the sperm (other index finger wiggling). It comes out of your pototoy (I know, I should correct this term already). When the sperm joins with the egg, that forms into a baby. The baby grows inside the mommy for 9 months.
Finn: How does the sperm get inside?
Me: silence again ...
Jojo: Mommy, tell him (with a straight face)
Me: Remember when you asked me where you came out? (Finn opened his legs and pointed to the spot I showed him before ... but that's another story) That's where the boy puts the pototoy for the sperm to swim up to the egg.
Finn: Ohhhh ... ... ... You mean babies grow from eggs like some animals?
Me: No, that's just what you call it. The egg is very small, and the sperm is even smaller. When the sperm gets inside the egg and they start to form the baby, it's called an embryo.
Finn: Oh ... I had a fun time swimming inside mommy (I told him before that there's water inside with the baby, hence the swimming)
Me: How do you know?
Finn: I remember.

So there you go, a very direct approach. I'll show him pictures of a baby growing next time, if I don't forget. He's very interested in the human body and science in general. I'm glad coz I love science (^_^) Sometimes he'd just ask me about trees, space, or rain (we discussed about the rain last night too since it was raining), even death and religion and I'd tell him something and he goes "what else?". Very inquisitive. It's a very good thing to want to learn (^-^)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good job bambi!

ako im going to need a book :) i have seen children's books about that, ok naman...

ah..this looks a bit rumble-jumble on safari.

Anonymous said...

I have to prepare myself for questions like this. I know that Basti will ask me this question very soon. He's beginning to ask me so many questions already and it can get kinda exhausting.

It's a good thing that you have a very inquisitive child. It's gonna work to his advantage. :)

Anonymous said...

Galing mo Bambi! :)

Siyempre ako, I chose to ask my dad instead of my mom about babies, and although I couldn't remember what he told me when I was four, I remember imagining a huge egg (like a chicken's) inside my mom's tummy. And I was concerned about the eggshells, that I left there.

Post a Comment

Back to Top