3

WOW!!!

Tell me, have you ever seen a rainbow cloud before? On my way to pick-up Finn from school, I saw these gorgeous clouds and I just said ... wow! I told Finn we had to hurry home so I can get the camera and take pics. I took a couple in my phone but I don't think it's gonna come out well so I had to get a real camera. This is the first time I've ever seen this happen. What's weird is, it's only this group of clouds that were colored, the rest are white. We ran home and I took the camera and went outside again. Of course these pics don't really do justice to the real thing but I darkened the background of the last 2 photos so you can see the intensity of the colors which were really, really breathtaking. I have to research on why this occurred but right now, I'm still in awe. Isn't God just great? Giving us eye candy like this (^_^) I stopped to thank Him after taking these pics for letting me see His wonder. Just awesome!

UPDATE: Ok, so I found this explanation in the National Geographic News Online:

"Known in the weather world as a circumhorizontal arc" ... "The arc isn't a rainbow in the traditional sense—it is caused by light passing through wispy, high-altitude cirrus clouds. The sight occurs only when the sun is very high in the sky (more than 58° above the horizon). What's more, the hexagonal ice crystals that make up cirrus clouds must be shaped like thick plates with their faces parallel to the ground.
When light enters through a vertical side face of such an ice crystal and leaves from the bottom face, it refracts, or bends, in the same way that light passes through a prism. If a cirrus's crystals are aligned just right, the whole cloud lights up in a spectrum of colors."—Victoria Gilman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's great! i have never ever seen anything like that, although i heard about it in earth science in school :)

DigiscrapMom said...

Wow!!! I haven't seen one like that! They're beautiful! Lucky you!!!

Bambi said...

they say it's a rare occurrence so we were really lucky (^_^)

Post a Comment

Back to Top